A bit of this, a bit of that
- 280g (10oz) peeled weight of floury potatoes
- 450g (1lb) undyed smoked haddock
- 30ml (2tbsp) Onken Natural Set Yogurt
- 50ml (2floz) water
- 25g (1oz) watercress without large stalks, chopped
- 50g (2oz) Feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ lemon zest
- 10ml (2tsp) tartare
- 50g (2oz) white breadcrumbs, preferably a day or two old
- 60ml (4tbsp) vegetable or sunflower oil for frying
- For the dressing:
- 175ml (6floz) Onken Natural Set Yogurt
- 30ml (2tbsp) tartare sauce
- lime zest and juice
- 15g (½ oz) capers, chopped
Place potatoes in a pan and cover with boiling water, add a pinch of salt and return to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender but not breaking. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 2 Place the haddock in a large microwaveable dish, mix the yogurt and water together and pour over the fish, cover. Cook on medium power for approximately 4 – 5 minutes, allow to stand for 5 minutes after cooking. Lift fish out of dish onto a plate to cool slightly, remove the skin and any bones.
Mash the potatoes, crumble in the feta and add the chopped watercress, lemon zest and tartare sauce.
Cooks Tip: The smoked haddock gives this dish a very distinctive taste. Spinach could be substituted for the watercress and a well flavoured crumbly cheese like a tasty Lancashire could be used instead of the feta.
- 4 Flake the haddock into large chunks and mix together with the potato mixture, don’t break up the fish too much. Put aside to cool.
- 5 Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl and place breadcrumbs on a plate. Divide the fish mixture into 4 and shape into cakes. Coat each cake with egg and then toss in the breadcrumbs so it is lightly coated, cover and chill for 1 hr.
- 6 Make the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well together.
- 7 Heat the oil in a large frying pan, fry the fish cakes over a medium heat for approximately 15 minutes, turning after every 3 – 4 minutes until each side is golden and heated thoroughly.
- 8 Serve garnished with watercress and the caper and yogurt dressing.