A bit of this, a bit of that
- 1 lemon, ½ lemon zest and juice required and 2 slices from the other half
- 1 medium orange, ½ orange zest and juice required and 2 slices from the other half
- 15mlsp (1tbsp) granulated sugar
- 150g (5½oz) butter, softened
- 150g (5½oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 150ml (1/4 pt) Onken Natural Set Yogurt
- ½ x 5mlsp (½ tsp) vanilla extract
- 250g (9oz) self raising flour
- 1 x 23cm (9inch) cake tin, greaseproof paper lined around the sides and base
- 1 Preheat the oven 170˚C/325˚F/Gas Mark 3
- 2 Prepare the orange and lemon, zest, slices and juice. Place the juice in a small pan with the granulated sugar and set on one side.
- 3 In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together with an electric hand mixer; gradually add the beaten egg until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- 4 Stir in the yogurt and vanilla extract and fold in the flour with a large metal spoon. Place mixture in a prepared tin.
- 5 Cut the orange and lemon slices in half and lay on the top of the mixture alternating between orange and lemon.
- 6 Place in the centre of the preheated oven and cook for 50 – 60 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Place the hot cake in the tin onto a cooling rack.
- 7 Heat the orange and lemon juice mixture in the pan until all the sugar has dissolved and spoon over the hot cake. Leave the cake in the tin until cold.