A bit of this, a bit of that
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 15mlsp (1tbsp) baking powder
- ½ x 5mlsp (½ tsp) mixed spice
- 115g (4oz) caster sugar
- 50g (2oz) dried morello cherries (cut in half if large)
- 85g (3oz) butter
- 100ml (4fl oz) Onken Natural Fat Free Yogurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 5 x 15mlsp (5tbsp) cherry conserve
- Sprinkling of Demerara sugar (optional)
- 1 Preheat the oven to 190˚C/375˚F/Gas 5. Put 10 paper muffin cases in a muffin bun tray.
Sieve the flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl, stir in the sugar and dried cherries.
Cooks Tip: Baking powder reacts very quickly, therefore it is important not to leave the mixture once the liquid ingredients are added, otherwise the muffins will not rise as well.
- 3 Melt the butter then lightly beat it together with the yogurt and egg, along with 3 tablespoons of the cherry conserve, stir until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- 4 Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mix and carefully fold in, do not over mix.
- 5 Place 1 dessertspoon of mix into each muffin case. Then place ½ a teaspoon of the conserve into the centre of each muffin mixture. Place another spoonful of muffin mix over the top of the conserve. Top with a sprinkling of Demerara sugar.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
- 7 Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Delicious warm or cold.