A bit of this, a bit of that
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chilli powder (and a little extra for sprinkling)
- 250g Onken Natural Set Yogurt
- 2 tsp peeled and grated root ginger
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- A few coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 Hold an aubergine with a pair of tongs over a flame and turn often, until the skin is charred and blistered all over. Repeat with the other aubergine. (Alternatively, preheat the grill to high, halve each aubergine and rub the cut surface with a little oil. Place the aubergines, cut side down, on a grill pan and grill for 8-10 minutes until the skin is charred and blistered all over).
- 2 Leave the aubergines until they are cool enough to handle. Cut each one in half lengthways, if they are still whole, and scoop out the flesh into a bowl, then mash or chop it and set aside.
- 3 Heat the oil in wok or a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and fry, stirring frequently for 6-8 minutes until the onions are golden. Add the tomato puree and mix well. Tip in the cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, salt and chilli powder and mix again.
- 4 Stir in the Onken Natural Set yogurt followed by the aubergines and cook for 3 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and mushy.
- 5 Add the ginger and garam masala and continue cooking for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with the extra chilli powder and coriander leaves and serve hot with naan breads.